1. First haircut in the new town this week. I’m still getting used to it…but loving not getting my long hair stuck in weird places. Like my armpits. Because that legit happens when you have long hair.
2. Our second round of theWhole Life Challenge started this weekend. Get ready to be bored by our healthy food pics and recipes. Unless you’re into that kind of thing. Then this is your lucky 8 weeks.
3. I went to a calligraphy workshop last week and it was so much fun! I felt like I was in the movie Little Women. Only I was wearing skinny jeans, which I’m pretty sure they didn’t wear. Calligraphy is such a timeless art and I am excited to practice it more!
4. If I had a quarter for every time I said “boys, get in bed,” I would be rich. Like woah.
5. It’s King Cake season. A truly magical time of year in the south. And it always reminds me of the time I helped a friend inhale a king cake in her car…in a parking lot…so her roommate wouldn’t eat any. Or something like that. Like anyone really needs an excuse to eat an entire King Cake in one sitting. Yep. Those were the good ol’ days.
6. I participated in my first 5k a few weekends ago. Notice I said “participated” and not “ran.” I did run. A little. Just enough to not be last. The 5k was a fundraiser for sweet Sam Routon and his family as he continues his battle against cancer at St. Jude. He has taught so many people about the true meaning of strong in his journey and it was such an honor to do this for him.
7. So about that 5k. It was a rainy day. Which is no biggie. I mean, runwalking in the rain is nothing compared to chemo. So, I took my shoes and socks off on the way home to blast my cold, wet feet with heat. Then left my shoes and socks in the car. So they smelled bad. Like, really bad. I sprayed them down with febreeze and gave them a few days to air dry. I picked them up one morning, gave them a quick sniff, and wore them to work. All morning, I kept catching a whiff of something terrible. Like old sour cream. I though one of my co-workers had been on a bath strike. Until I realize the smell was coming from my feet. Y’all. I went home, changed immediately, and haven’t worn the suckers since. I’m looking at it as an excuse to buy new shoes.
8. I need someone to come tell me where to put stuff in my house. I’m usually good at this, but I’m stuck. Our new house is twice as big as our old house and I’m finding decorating to be kinda overwhelming…
9. Last week, I told several friends and family members a funny story of an elderly couple I was taking care of. They kept yelling at each other across the room about their recent bathroom adventures. (The yelling was due to hearing loss, not anger over bowel movements) It was a moment I will never forget. Today, I found out the husband passed away. My heart is broken for his family and especially his wife. These things happen in healthcare, especially when you work with older people. These patients become family to me and it breaks my heart to lose family members, but I am so grateful for the memories they leave me with. Seriously, ask me sometime to re-enact the conversation. You will be glad you did.
10. It’s a been a rough few weeks, medically speaking, for our family. Family members on both sides have been dealing with illnesses, surgeries, and hospital stays. My tiny nephew, Madden, has been in the hospital for almost a week fighting off a yucky infection that was making it hard for him to breath. I know this week has been a long one for his parents and hopefully they will get to take him home tomorrow. Pray for his levels to be back to where they need to be so he can go home!